As entrepreneurs we are always looking for creative ways to promote your business, to gain more raving fans and create more clients or consumers. In this day in age most businesses are building their empire online because it feels natural. We live in a virtual world and it gives us instant feedback. An online business is also portable and allows flexibility to choose when and where we work.
But what if we want to build a business that has a stronger presence? Are you tired of building a business only behind a computer screen? Do you feel it is time to create brand recognition much greater than Facebook? Would you like your business to be more well-known locally, regionally or nationally?
I am Heather DeSantis of Boss Babe PR and here are my Five Tried and True Tips to help you secure TV and Radio segments.
Identify Your Target Market Community
- First and foremost, prosper where your feet are and focus on your home town! Stations LOVE local on-air talent.
- Once you have experienced how to promote your business services or products, consider targeting new cities or even cities you will be traveling to that year.
Identify the Service or Product You Most Want to Promote Your Business with
- Often your business offers more than one product or service so it is important to have a clear understanding of what you most want to promote and sell.
- Once the product or service is identified, brain storm key elements and benefits you feel comfortable discussing. For example: how to become organized; tips for healthy eating; key things to look for if buying a new house, etc.
- TIP: Combining with an upcoming National Awareness Day (Mother’s Day, American Heart Month etc.) may help your promotion effort. Or current national or regional news may create a need for broadcasters to find experts like you to provide more detailed information.
- After you know your key topics and the product or service you will promote, you are ready to pitch the media!
- Be confident!
Write and Email Your Pitch
- First, make a list of all TV and Radio stations in your target market.
- Gather the producers email address simply by going to the station’s website
- Producers work early in the AM so consider contacting them before 10 AM.
- Send the producer a SHORT email introducing yourself.
- Ask to be a guest on their morning show.
- Summarize the content of your talk to -include three or four bullet points.
- Send a follow-up email to the producer 24 hours after your initial email.
- Call the station and ask to speak to the producer within 48-72 hours
- Introduce yourself and assume they did not receive your email and ask to be a guest on their morning show.
Live in Gratitude and Provide Value
- Once you book a segment it is so important you provide GREAT content!
- Arrive early and follow up with a thank you card.
- Ensure you know before the segment if it is LIVE or recorded; the length of the segment and other special arrangements.
- Ensure you practice, practice, practice!